The Abraham Staats House is one of the finest surviving buildings from the Dutch Settlement of the Raritan Valley in the 18th century. It began life as a two-room structure housing the first owners, the Staats family, who remained at the homestead for nearly two centuries. Over the centuries the house has been expanded several times and now includes a fine late, Federal/Greek Revival two-story addition.
Our “Open House” is held the second Saturday of each month (closed July and August) from 10AM to Noon, when the house is open for free tours. Please check our Event Calendar for special events that may be occurring during Open House hours. Past programs have featured 18th c. blacksmithing demonstration, open hearth cooking and live music.
On June 14, 1777 the Second Continental Congress adopted the flag of the United States. Today the United States commemorate that event as Flag Day on June 14th every year. While the flag is the patriotic emblem of our country, through its display on flag poles and at veteran’s grave sites, in time it becomes faded, worn, and even torn. As written in the US Code (Title 10, Chapter 10, 176.(k)) “The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.”
With that in mind, Boy Scout Troop 42 and Cub Scout Pack 42 of South Bound Brook conduct an annual flag retirement ceremony fittingly held on Flag Day. This service project uses the outdoor hearth on the grounds of Abraham Staats House for this ceremony. The hearth was constructed as a Troop 42 Eagle Scout project,
The event is free for all and the public is encouraged to attend, bringing any tattered or torn flags for their inclusion in the retirement. If you cannot attend, please drop the flag off at the South Bound Brook Borough Hall, 12 Main Street, South Bound Brook by June 13.